The English Graduate Student Association (EGSA) at Case Western Reserve University was established in 2011 as a student-run organization supporting and advocating for students in the English graduate program. Our mission includes the following:
- To provide sustained support for current and prospective graduate students in the Department of English at CWRU in all aspects of graduate life, including but not limited to coursework, M.A. comprehensive exams, Ph.D. qualifying exams, dissertation writing, professional development, and teaching pedagogy.
- To foster intellectual development through sponsorship of academic events and discussion.
- To promote fellowship among the graduate cadre through social events and moral support.
- To engage and support the community and local service organizations through the organization of community outreach opportunities.
- To encourage prospective students through coordinating campus visits and compiling informative materials about the program.
Now in its second year, the EGSA is making continued progress toward each of these aims of our mission. To promote our professional development, especially in terms of developing and publicizing our own academic work, there are three groups that have formed under the umbrella of EGSA: a creative writing group, a publication working group, and a graduate student colloquium. Each meeting once or twice a month, these groups are entirely student-run and provide opportunities for graduate students to learn about and give feedback on one another’s writing. In addition to the professional, EGSA’s events committee offers ample opportunities for grad students to spend time with one another in social settings. Some of our recent social events have included a masquerade ball, a trip to a Cleveland Indians game, spring and fall picnics, holiday parties, and First Friday gatherings.
Beyond the department, EGSA’s outreach committee has organized many ways to connect the graduate students with others through donations and service. We have held bake sales, food and supply drives to benefit the Cleveland Foodbank and Ronald McDonald House of Cleveland, and we are currently planning a department day of service. Finally, EGSA’s recruitment committee has been working to increase awareness of CWRU’s program among potential students, and last spring we held our first-ever Accepted Student Day to give those individuals the chance to meet current students and to experience firsthand the English graduate program here at Case.
EGSA is excited about the many things happening in our new but dynamic organization. This website will provide a forum for us not only to share news and ideas with one another but also to allow others outside of the program, including alumni and prospective students, to find out about what’s happening in the English graduate student community.
To see who the current officers and committee representatives are or to contact us click here.